Greatings from Belhaven NC!
The last couple of days have gone by super slow but in a good way. Orientation was a little rough as everyone was trying to get to know each other and I was very concerned with my bike skills. We did a 20+ mile ride and I was worried with how much that hurt but the only thing to was to keep going.
The first day we had the ceremony and stood in the Atlantic to dip our wheels in. Then we headed off from Nags Head with a police escort to bike 65 miles to our destination. I would be lying if I said the trip was easy. We battled harsh sun rays, large amounts of rain, some strong winds, and even a dog or two. But in the end I made it and was able to enjoy the great hospitality of our hosts in Swan Quarter. I must say that was perhaps one of the top meals I have had in my life.
Today was much easier but filled with rain. We only did about 35 miles or so and most of us arrived at our destination before 1030 am but rather soaked. I felt a lot stronger today and a lot more in control of my bike. I am more optimistic about the rest of the trip but we will see how I feel by the end of the week.
Two things have stuck on most in my mind about this trip so far. One is being able to travel at a slower pace than a car and really take in the surrounding scenery. Every place so far looks amazing and I am excited to be able to see the lands change as we travel forth. The second thing and easily the most important is the kindness and generosity so many have soon us on this trip so far. It was been really spectacular having all sorts of people welcome you into their homes, giving you food, showers and even a hot tub offer. All the people we meet seem to take the affordable housing issue very seriously which is very refreshing. Everyone in the three stops we have had so far have been so welcoming it is almost overwhelming at times.
Although there is much more to tell I feel I should wrap this post up. I will end by saying this: Although the road its long, and the pain will be (and currently is) great; the cause is just and the experience is like no other, I must push on.
Monday, May 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Man,Hope your knee and butt are both holding up. Wish I was riding with the group. UnkieR
ReplyDeleteAndrew,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update and I wish you continued slow rides and the kindness of strangers. Smooth roads and butt butter!