Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back?

Greetings from Greenville, NC. home of East Carolina University. Today started with so much promise. The congregation at the church we stayed at gave us a very tasty breakfast and while the weather was cold and windy at least there was no rain. We started off and broke into smaller groups. Right in the beginning we had an accident as one of the guys I was with, Nahn, went over some train tracks and took a big spill. After patching him back up we heading off again. Only then to get have to stop when another rider, Greg, had 2 flats. We eventually made it to lunch by the lake.

Then I got a flat on top of a large, busy bridge. Once it was finally fixed we started to roll on but then I began to crash. The last 15 miles were super brutal. I was in a lot of pain and just could keep my legs going. It was very rough and I got very frustrated more than once. But with Sweep's help I was able to push in through and make it here in one piece. I would very much like to go tour the city we are in but I need my rest if I am going to make it through the 79 miles tomorrow. 2 more ride days and I am through 1/2 of the 2 week push which I should be in relatively good shape by the end. Seems pretty far now but its time to push on. To quote a Floydian "On ward and upward"

3 comments:

  1. Don't do any more crashing buddy.UnkieR

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had three crashes on i'm sure the same tracks, myself included. good luck this week! chapel hill is just around the corner, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete